Tuesday 27 August 2019

The Misadventures of Doris (a Saga) - and ANOTHER arthritis flare-up

The saga of Doris, my sister's latest rescue dog, continues to great effect on facebook.  I thought her latest advenure was too good not to share:

"Doris is generally an amiable and well-behaved dog (apart from a few regrettable lapses), and in every way, much easier to manage than Ollie was. However, once in a blue moon she pulls off a stunt that would have left Ollie standing, open-mouthed with admiration.
Like yesterday evening, for example. We are always careful to keep the door of Ken's studio closed, as there are hazardous things in there, and Doris, being a Jack Russell, will, if given half a chance, find them. But around eight, I went in to get something and left the door open behind me. Doris followed me in.
The next thing I knew, she was racing off down the corridor with an illicit prize in her mouth. I went after her and grabbed her, landing on the floor in the process, while she tightened her grip on what turned out to be a tube of superglue, which burst.
Doris decided she didn't like her new toy, spat it out and started wiping her face on the floor. I tried to leap to my feet, except my knees were now glued to the carpet so I landed on my face.
I crawled to the phone with a carpet tile attached to each knee and my hands glued together, called the vet and explained what had happened. 'Is her jaw glued shut?' she asked. I looked at Doris who was busily trying to remove Ken's hand as he wiped her face clean. It was clearly All Our Fault, and Doris wasn't prepared to be forgiving about this. 'No,' I said, 'I don't think so.'
The vet advised us, against what sounded like a background of guffawing, to feed her little and often to keep everything moving, and bring her in if she seemed ill. 'She seems fine at the moment,' I said, as Doris proceeded to shred the flannel Ken had been using to clean her up.
I spent the next half hour peeling my hands apart and freeing myself from the carpet tiles. That's one pair of jeans I won't be able to wear again, but at least the carpet tiles are in an inconspicuous place.
Doris ate everything we offered and took herself off to bed, while Ken and I opened a large bottle of wine. This morning, Doris in fine, apart from some rather stiff hairs round her mouth. Ken and I are still twitching and picking superglue off our hands."



Monday was a Bank Holiday - very hot.  We shopped for us and Jacks, and I rang Jean to say that hopefully we will be able to go out on the work tomorrow.

And I also made a batch of marmalade muffins as I am down to the last piece of cake in the freezer - and Col needs a lot of packed lunches at this time of year - he is out Butterfly hunting, Moth hunting, Treasure hunting, and sometimes helping to hunt for Lost People when he gets a SUSSAR callout.

https://www.sussar.org.uk/website/



No comments:

Post a Comment