Wednesday 31 January 2018

And I don't feel so well myself

A medical day yesterday - and also a day of pain in one of my Knew Knees - still hurts, so I don't know if this is building up to a full frontal attack, or just a routine-but-worse-than-usual arthritis thingummy.

Thank goodness the gallant Captain was at home to drive me round - for my Annual Review at the doctors in the morning - and to my 6 monthly hospital check up in the afternoon.

It was all very depressing. The only good thing to come out of it is that my cholesterol levels are fine, and that my liver continues to stand up to the intensive medication.  Everything else is going downhill - and I seriously wonder how much longer I will last.  By the evening I was back on my zimmer frame...

Oh dear.

Oh, and I must not forget another good thing. The new system at the hospital is working well.  This was my first Nurse appointment.  I see the doctor himself next time.  She is a very nice lady, very thorough. And we got seen pretty much on time!

Anyway, I don't have to go out today until the afternoon when I visit Maggie, which hopefully I will be able to do. It depends on how the Knee progresses. 

Its another medical day tomorrow in the sense that I have to stay at home until my medicine arrives, as it has to be signed for and refrigerated.

This seems a good moment for a poem - a very appropriate one from an anthology that Pen gave me a couple of years ago - "Poem for the Day,One" with a foreword by Wendy Cope.

On the Vanity of Earthly Greatness
by Arthur Guiterman

The tusks which clashed in mighty brawls
Of mastodons, are billiard balls.
The sword of Charlemagne the Just
Is Ferric Oxide, known as rust.
The grizzly bear, whose potent hug,
Was feared by all, is now a rug.
Great Caesar's bust is on the shelf,
And I don't feel so well myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment