Monday 15 January 2024

Dust of Snow






Dust of Snow
by Robert Frost

The way a crow
Shook down on me
The dust of snow
From a hemlock tree

Has given my heart
A change of mood
And saved some part
Of a day I had rued.


https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poems/44262/dust-of-snow

This seems to describe another paradise moment, when the beauty and the grace of the creation reached the poet's heart and gladdened and comforted him.  So I will search the Captain's Photo Gallery and see if I can find an appropriate photo. I did manage to find one of a crow in snow, on our beach, though not this year, not yet anyway. And I added another crow pic as well.

He - Col, not the crow - was off early on Sat, a'detecting as usual. I have started my third course of antibiotics, and so did not feel wonderful.  Will they work this time?  If not, what?

It was a cooking day in that I made a wokful of cauliflower curry in the morning and an apple crumble in the afternoon. That is the Captain's favourite dessert.  And I also did my Watchtower study for the Sunday meeting.

From Sunday's Scriptural thought for the day:  By giving Elijah these assignments, Jehovah helped him to focus on positive things.

Yes.  One of the many ways in which Jehovah looks after his people is by keeping us focused on the positive.

Given that the Captain and I are now past our sell-by dates and into the death zone, I have some powerful negatives to dwell on, if I am not careful.  And as for the news... we seem to be at war in the Middle East again, as the troubles there spread and spread. Knife crime is rampant on our streets. And the whole sordid Jeffrey Epstein business, of which I read only the headlines, ought to be demonstrating to all just how corrupt the whole system of things on the earth is.  

Which is exactly what the Bible has warned us - from Genesis on.  If people don't see it now, will they ever be willing to see it?

To come back to the positive, the Book of Revelation also assures us that our Creator will restore the whole earth to paradise and obedient humankind to the life and perfection our first parents so sadly chose to throw away.  We are not abandoned to this tragedy.

It is a good thing that the dead are, as the Bible assures us, "conscious of nothing at all".  Because if our first parents could have seen what has happened, what is happening, to us, their damaged children... well, I can't imagine.  But they will never know the full scope of the tragedy, which is a mercy.  And we will never know them, our first parents, which is a sadness. 

Well, it is Monday morning and no dust of snow as yet - in fact it is a sunny morning down here on the Sunshine Coast. And I ask myself yet again how it was that my gloomy weather-loving self ended up down here with all this sunshine.  


No comments:

Post a Comment