Saturday 6 January 2024

A Haiku Attempt for Twenty Twenty Four



I have chosen a wintry scene - Endcliffe Park in the snow some years ago - for this blog, as I am in my winter season and I am feeling a bit down at the moment.  I am in my late seventies now, and in my family we do not go much beyond eighty, if we even get there.

The beauty of Winter, of the creation, is so reassuring though, telling us as it does of its Grand Creator, who made this so lovely, just for us.  But but but  - age and medical matters are making me feel a bit melancholy. 

Hence:

A Haiku (failed) for 2024
by me

Twenty Twenty Five 
waits in the wings
of this new year
when it comes
will we be here?

Could I shrink that into a Haiku? For sure Matsuo Basho could. But I fear it is beyond me.

Medical matters : finally the hospital lab has found what is ailing me, and I am back on the antibiotics.  The doubleplusgood is that they did use the right ones the first time - just not enough. So it's more of the same. But the saga of getting the things so I could begin to take them took all day Thursday and many phone calls - and culminated in Col and Jim calling in for them on their way back from The Field in the evening, in the dark, in a raging storm.

Yet it should have been such a simple arrangement. The GP rang me the night before and assured me she would email the prescription to the Pharmacy next door so I could call in after 9.00 on the Thursday morning, pick them up, and start the course.

Ha!

The girl at the Pharmacy was very sympathetic - and knew me quite well before the day was done.

It was all complicated by a violent storm - still Henk I suppose - and my car developing a worrying light on its dashboard.  A stressful day altogether.  And we woke up on Friday to the news that there is flooding everywhere.  I also got another email from the remote pharmacy to whom my prescription had been sent asking me plaintively when I was coming in to pick it up. It was supposed to have been cancelled Thursday morning, In fact I stood there at reception watching the lady at the desk cancel it, at my request, and re-route it to the local Pharmacy - the one in the same building.

It then took the rest of the day to get the prescription re-routed to the pharmacy next door - within a few feet of the reception desk.  Or possibly a few metres or litres or whatever it is we are to call them these days.

But these really are "first world problems", and I am very very grateful to have the NHS to do all this for me.  The GP I dealt with - everyone I encountered - was lovely. And kind.  So even if it does take time and doesn't go to plan I am so grateful for it.  But what is happening to the world?  Or is it just that I am now so used to the gentle efficiency of Jehovah's organisation?  Talking of which, it is the first rehearsal of my part on the Big Stage at noon today. There will be at least two more I believe, so that - please God - all will go smoothly on the great day.

And also I need to pray - I do pray - that I will make it as far as the Kingdom Hall today to be at the rehearsal. I have been woken by violent arthritis pain and hope I am not in for one of those debilitating attacks that mean I can't even make it to the front door of the flat if anyone rings the bell... let alone drive myself to the Hall.

Col left very early to join Jim and the lads at The Field - for metal detecting purposes. He helped me on with my socks before he left.  It is quite a tricky and painful performance when I have to do it for myself - if you ever saw the Prince Regent trying to dress himself when Blackadder wasn't there to help him you sort of have the idea - and today I don't even think I would be equal to it.

I am starting to wonder if the poor guy is not entitled to a Caregiver's allowance...




No comments:

Post a Comment