Friday 24 June 2022

Moth City, Conch City



The moths are starting to return to the balcony wall.  I think maybe the scaffolding has discouraged the breakfasting magpie, for the moment anyway.

Or it could be the GIANT Poplar Hawk Moth in the photo above that has scared it - and the builders - off.    Though most probably the builders are waiting until we have our family visitors before they start doing their noisy and view-blocking stuff.

Our lift is still out, which is annoying as I would have liked to attempt a walk to the sea, but I dare not try going down the stairs if Col isn't here to help me. The thought of a fall going downstairs... shudder...  

Spoiler Alert, in retrospect:  Wednesday's Quordle which I got in 7 (not that I want to brag about it, given that "pride comes before a fall" and I have had enough falling)  is: Conch, Crowd, Chase, Thrum.  Surely there is a Haiku in that?

The Conch in its Crowd of shells, gave Chase, with its Thrum of the sea...

Ne'er Crowd a Conch, nor Chase it, lest its Thrum of the sea falls silent...

or maybe not.

But here is a poem about the sea, one I just discovered:

Smooth Between Sea and Land

A.E.Houseman

Shall it be Troy or Rome
I fence against the foam,
Or my own name, to stay
When I depart for aye?

Nothing: too near at hand,
Planing the figure sand,
Effacing clean and fast
Cities not built to last
And charms devised in vain,
Pours the confounding main.

https://interestingliterature.com/2017/08/10-of-the-best-poems-about-the-sea/

How clearly the poet sees the futility that our first parents tragic decision in Eden condemned us to.  Nothing we build can last.   Except and unless we build a good name with God.  And to do that we need to find our Creator and learn what it is he requires from us.

I wish the poet could have known that.   And it reminds me that I need to keep trying to tell all I can about Jehovah and the Kingdom of God while I can.  So I hope to be at the field service group this morning, in Zoom, with some letters printed and ready.

I have also found quite a few phone numbers listed so I must pray about that and try to have a go this afternoon.  And I do hope that my next blog - should there be one, nothing is certain in this system of things - will not record that I still have not done them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment