Tuesday 15 October 2019

The Hibernator

Peacock, Inachis io
We have a Hibernator. A hibernating butterfly. I think its a Peacock. It was fluttering alarmingly round the room yesterday - and when I told Captaiin Butterfly about it - he was off detectorising- he sais it would be looking for somewhere to hibernate.

It seemed distressed and wanting to go out, but the weather was awful. I opened a window just in case, but it didn't go. I left a tiny doll's saucer of honey out for it,but it didn't want that either.  I may have been thinking of bees.  You can revive an exhausted bee wonderfully with a dab of honey..In the end the butterfly flew under our nest of tables and settled there.  So the little chap is now sleeping next to the radiator and the telly.. And its the Footie tonight.  And its getting cold and we will be having the central heating on soon.So I don't know if this is going to work.

Can it safely sleep there all winter?   I hope so. And clearly we can't use the tables until it emerges in the Spring.   Its a good thing we have a very low key social life these days.

It was England v Bulgaria on the telly last night.  And I felt so sorry for the Bulgarian team. Not only did they lose, but they were let down badly by some of their fans - only a small group, but they made a lot of noise, caused a lot of trouble, and did their best to spoil the match for everyone.

I hope all the ruckus didn't wake up our little Hibernator.




No comments:

Post a Comment