Sunday 31 March 2024

Lord Smartphone



PLEASE BUY MY BOOK.  It is a collection of short stories, some of them very short, but all of them page turners, or such was my aim.   Talky Tin - which stars our fierce Saudi cat, Whites - is very short indeed, and is also anthologised in Kaleidoscope.

Advert over, so I can get to the main subject of the blog, as I want to say that I hope I never meet the inventor of the smartphone, Lord Smartphone, or whoever he may be.  The thing is driving me mad. It suddenly told me that all the messages I had recently sent had not been sent. So I found a resend button and resent. It seemed to have sent them, but then the next day, it told me it hadn't.  Maybe it was invented by Lord Spitephone?

Then I found a little airplane at the top and it turned out I was in something I didn't even know existed - Airplane Mode...   When I think of the effectiveness and simplicity of the old horse-drawn phone and the system of phone boxes...  and I started to worry about Dr.Who and his phone box Tardis. How would that work as a mobile? Then I remembered it was actually a Police Box!  (Not that you see any of them about now, nor any Policemen.)

But would Lord Toosmartforhisowngood have cared?  

Or maybe its just that I am Lady Notsmartenough-forherphone?

Poor Col had a terrible day on Thursday - huddled up in blankets and hot water bottles, coughing, and dozing (when he could) in front of the telly. I attended the meeting in Zoom, only venturing one very short comment, as I didn't want all the coughing plus the machine gun fire from whatever terrible war or James Bond movie he was coughing in front of to get through my headphones into the meeting. By the way, why do the villains always waste so many of their bullets on Bond? Surely they know by now that they can't kill him?

The Captain is much better this weekend, but now I am going down with the cold - sore throat and slight coughing.

There was a laser light show on The Green on Saturday night. It was probably quite noisy but the design of our flat is so good - the living rooms, kitchen/dining/lounge face Green and sea, and the bedrooms face to the front, to the road, which, in our sleepy seaside town, is usually quiet at night.

The remnants of Storm Nelson were still blowing the balcony geraniums about on Friday.  I ventured out onto the balcony to finish my Memorial Bible reading, and to do the Watchtower study, but had to retreat after about 20 minutes - it was too blowy  Lovely though, wonderful waves - the sea was both roaring and sparkling with sunshine.  The sound of the sea is surely the sound of eternity. A wonderful sound that makes me think of the time when the whole earth will be the paradise it was always meant to be.

One of the things I imagine myself doing is lying on cliffs above a beach - a Cornish style beach of my childhood - listening to the sounds of the endless waves. I am watching a warm gentle sunset,  knowing I have unnumbered sunsets ahead of me - and not one of them will be the same.  The variety and the immensity of Jehovah's creation is beyond comprehension.



No comments:

Post a Comment