Monday 27 November 2023

Turtle Doves



How precious your loyal love is, O God!  In the shadow of your wings, the sons of men take refuge. - Psalm 36:7

This was Thursday's Scriptural thought - and one so well worth meditating on.  And the metaphor of sheltering wings inspired the choice of the Turtle Dove above - taken by Captain Butterfly of course.  (I can use one of my photos if and when the subject of my blog is: lens caps, my thumb, or the strange tilting of the horizon.)

Jehovah not only has loyal love, he is "abundant" in it. He overflows with it.  Think of the generosity of the sunrises and the sunsets - every one a masterpiece and every one different. 

I slept very badly on Wednesday night, so set myself some targets for Thursday, namely to change the bedding and wash the sheets, otherwise I might have done nothing at all.  The struggle with the duvet cover alone exhausts me and I have to lie down afterwards.  And I also made the second fruitcake, this one for Captain B and his lunchboxes.  

The banging and crashing upstairs has started again. We thought we were in for a few months peace as our upstairs neighbours have left for their other home in the sub-continent - they do not like the English winter.  Nor do most people to be fair. I seem to be strange in my love of rain and snow and mist, and all the seasons.

I think their son must have come over to continue the work... Thursday and Friday were days of constant hammering...  Well, at least he is a good son, a loyal one - something precious in this current system of things.  

Saturday I made some veggie curries - I am trying to get back to cooking, but everything is so exhausting now.  On the doubleplusgood side, I got my containers and bag back at the Hall on Sunday, all emptied of cake, and with a thank you card, plus a p.s. that said The marmalade muffins were a particularly big hit!

Really pleased about that as they look so plain, but they are delicious. And they are made, from a Cranks recipe,  with Col's homemade marmalade too.  It is good to be able to give a small something back to the congregation elders, who take such good care of us.

The Kingdom of God is a government that knows and cares for every one of its subjects.  It cares for us and teaches us with loyal love. And it is inviting everyone to come in under the shelter of its loving wings before the moment comes when Jehovah will "bring to ruin those ruining the earth".


No comments:

Post a Comment