Saturday 16 May 2020

Two Lovely Phone Calls

Thursday was quite busy - we attended The Self-Isolating Bird Club on fb, with Chris Packham and Megs at 9.00 - then I drove my laptop from dining room to kitchen through the rush hour traffic in the hallway to join the congregation in the Field Service.  Just as it finished, and we started to chat in Zoom, and Jean turned up, delighted to be able to talk to us,  the Waitrose Delivery arrived - so I had to hurtle (slowly) off and help with sorting, unpacking and putting away. We got the pizza this time, so that was supper sorted.

Then Col delivered letter and magazine to my friend next door and also took Terry his shopping - we add some chill cabinet meals to our order for him - and went off for his walk, while I did my Watchtower study and listened out for the bell, as we had two deliveries coming.  I managed to hear and sort out both. Which is an achievement these days - to hear the bell, such are the difficulties of age.

And I managed to Zoom a friend for our usual Wednesday night chat - held on a Thursday as I could not connect on Wednesday. We managed to sort it it out - without troubling Captain Butterfly - which was another achievement of sorts.

And I had two lovely phone calls - the first was from next door thanking me for the magazine - we had a long chat about it, and another one on Friday.  And the second was a call from our Circuit Overseer and his wife.  We talked about the situation, they checked up that me and Captain Butterfly (or more grammatically, Captain Butterfly and I) are doing OK, which, so far, we are. And then he read me these lovely comforting words at Psalm 31:21:   "May Jehovah be praised, for in a wonderful way, he has shown his loyal love to me in a besieged city."

He  has shown his loyal love to me in a besieged city.  And he talked a bit about the following verses which speak of David's feeling of panic when he was literally besieged by Saul, and how Jehovah heard his pleas for help and protected him.



The next Bible study question is:     Does God have a name?

This is so important as the first thing Jesus asked us to pray for when he left us the model pray was for the hallowing, or sanctification, of his Father's name.

He said: “Our Father in the heavens, let your name be sanctified.” (Matthew 6:9)

Let your NAME be sanctified.

Although God has many titles, he has only one name. In each language, it is pronounced differently. In English the conventional pronunciation is“Jehovah.”, though some people now pronounce it as "Yahweh". 

Psalm 83:18 says: "May people know that you, whose name is Jehovah, You alone are the Most High over all the earth."

Jehovah alone is the most high over the earth.

God’s name has been taken out of many Bibles and replaced with the titles Lord or God. But when the Bible was written, it contained God’s name some 7,000 times. And Jesus made God’s name known when he taught people about God.

At John 17:26. he said: "I have made your name known to them and will make it known, so that the love with which you loved me may be in them and I in union with them.”

So, if we are to follow in Jesus' footsteps don't we too need to make his Father's name known?



No comments:

Post a Comment