Monday, 3 August 2026

Three Tigers on our Balcony







THE TIGER
by Hilaire Belloc

The tiger, on the other hand,
Is kittenish and mild,
And makes a pretty playfellow
For any little child.
And mothers of large families
(Who claim to common sense)
Will find a tiger well repays
The trouble and expense.

I had better quickly add, in these litigious times, do NOT try this at home children, or mothers.  Well, not until after Armageddon, when nature is no longer "red in tooth and claw".

We started August off in splendid tiger-style with 3 Jersey Tiger moths on our balcony - and they have turned up every morning so far.

I watched a youtube video about the reintroduction of Bison into a Kent woodland. What wonderful curators of the wood they are, and how close they came to extinction - almost literally a hairsbreadth.

It is here: https://www.facebook.com/reel/991535107047282    and well worth a watch.

The inspired definition of faith at Hebrews 11:1 was brought out in the talk on Sunday.  Writing under inspiration, Paul said: "Faith is the assured expectation of what is hoped for, the evident demonstration of realities that are not seen."

Faith must be based on reason, on logic.  Or what is to stop us from believing that the moon is made of green cheese and worrying that Elvis is eating his way through it from the dark side?

And it was the beauty of the creation that told me there had to be a Creator. But for me to find him, and to be able to say thanks, I had to talk to the Jehovah's Witnesses who called as it was they who opened my eyes to what the Bible on my shelf had been telling me all along.

I am so thankful they called that day.  It was a long time ago, but I can remember hesitating on the door and thinking well, I have been looking for some time and not found the answers. I'll ask them in and hear them out, maybe they have a piece of the puzzle.  It sounded unlikely to me then, but I asked them in. And I listened.

I been part of the congregated people of Jehovah ever since, in that I have been taught as part of his congregation ever since that moment - nearly 40 years ago!

Once again I note how quickly the time goes, how the years fly by - or is it just that our lives are so short now, so quickly over?

A busy day lies ahead, two Zoom sessions this morning, two this afternoon, plus Col's Zoom with his brothers a bit later.


No comments:

Post a Comment