Wednesday 30 August 2023

The Balloon Moon





When we were sitting on the balcony on Monday night, I thought of the E E Cummings poem which begins:

who knows if the moon’s
a balloon, coming out of a keen city
in the sky–filled with pretty people?


A glimpse of pale moon appeared over the clouds, then it grew like Humpty Dumpty but was veiled in cloud until suddenly it wasn't. It appeared full, pale golden and rather worried looking to shine over the sea, so close to us. I thought again of the Indian landing on its South Pole.  The moonshot above is one Col took from our balcony on some other night, not last night. I don't want to confuse any future astronomers who might be looking at my blog.

Though will my blogposts survive Armageddon, which is imminent?  I can't think why, especially if they might confuse people.  And will we want any reminders of "the sadness that belonged to the world" (Janet Frame)?

The Inspired Scriptures assure us that "the former things will not be called to mind, neither will they come up into the heart." - Isaiah 65:17

Monday was a Zoom morning - talking to local friends and then the usual session with my siblings.  And in the afternoon I finally managed to get the script for my part in the Ministry School written up, and contacted my partner and arranged to go through it together on Thursday.

So I did at least have some achievements for the day.

Apparently tonight - Wednesday - there will be a blue moon.  The moon will be so close to the earth we will be able to wave to the latest rocket that has landed, the one from India.

No comments:

Post a Comment