Wednesday 9 August 2023

Lifeguards



We chose another of Col's beach shots for our August calendar - see above.  Our beach is probably as safe as a beach can be, being so shallow. If you want to swim when the tide is out you pretty much have to wade halfway to France.

And there is another difference between childhood and second childhood. No more swimming or paddling in the sea, alas.  As I have Knew Knees, I cannot get myself up if I fall and therefore I could drown in just a few inches of water.

Nevertheless, the sea is always dangerous even for the young and fit, and we do have the river mouth, with fearsome currents as the tides come and go.  I love to watch it from the little pier.  And so we need, and have, lifeguards.  Surely a truly worthwhile job - for the young.

Monday was sunny, Tuesday was grey and overcast. They say that the big heat is coming back, which I know is what most people would want, so I am trying not to selfishly wish it away. On Tuesday I made a rhubarb crumble.  I turned out well - though I only risked a spoonful (diabetes).  It is nearly on the same level as The Fat Cat crumble, which is my standard of crumble greatness, being even better than my mother's.

And now, on Wednesday, my Zoom session day, it is starting out sunny. Col is on the balcony - on a stepladder (at his age!) - photographing the moths on the wall.  We have had a couple of new moths recently - well, new to our balcony, that is.  And we have a lovely Brimstone today.

The one new to science has not turned up yet, for us to name it - so the "Singing Susan" (just to pluck a name out of the air) - remains undiscovered.  It will of course, be a stunningly beautiful moth.  Though actually they all are, all exquisitely made, all exquisitely designed by Jehovah, the Grand Creator. 

The world sadly is determined we should neither praise nor thank Him for it, and it is promoting the theory of Evolution as hard as it can. Yet the truth of Genesis will remain, when all theories are long gone. 

 Listen! Someone is saying: “Call out!”

Another asks: “What should I call out?”

“All flesh is green grass.

All their loyal love is like the blossom of the field.

       The green grass dries up,

The blossom withers,

Because the breath of Jehovah blows upon it.

Surely the people are but green grass.

The green grass dries up,

The blossom withers,

But the word of our God endures forever.”

-

- Isaiah 40:6-8


 The word of our God endures forever.


No comments:

Post a Comment