Saturday 25 February 2023

The School



There was an Emergency  call for a volunteer in the School on Thursday night, so I thought I should respond.  I have been grateful when other people have responded when my partner in the school has been unable to do it.  

Jehovah always helps, and a plus is that I didn't have to angst about it very much beforehand as there was no time to.

I remember many years ago - probably 30 to be exact - I heard my mother in the kitchen saying to one of my sisters about my intention to become a Jehovah's Witness: "Sue must be serious about this. I never thought there was anything that would make her stand up and speak in public."

Neither did I!  But it is amazing what you can do with Jehovah's help.

We had our usual Friday visit to the local Greengrocers, and found the shelves as full as ever - with loads of tomatoes. The tabloids have been shrieking about empty veg shelves and food shortages. But at any rate there was no sign of it in our local shop.  Which is a good thing as I don't think our balcony is going to be very productive if we have to grow our own.

One of my sisters from 'oop North said that, yes, there are empty shelves and shortages in their locale.  At least they do have a garden, if push comes to shove.  I remember visiting one Autumn and found George and Gabi in the kitchen busy preparing and preserving mounds of garden fruit.

A chili plant we bought from Waitrose did flourish on our orchid table for a long time - and I harvested quite a crop from it.  Not enough for our 5 a day mind you, but enough to enliven our regular vegetable soup lunches.   

The photo above is one of the Captain's - of a lovely Five-spot Burnet moth on a Pyramidal orchid.  Its a wild orchid obviously - not one of the table variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment