Friday 4 January 2019

Tony Harrison - Social Mobility

Many many years ago, when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was a student in Newcastle,  the Poetry Fellow in the English Department was Tony Harrison.    He was very good-looking and glamorous and I (fresh from my all girl Catholic convent) was never brave enough to speak to him, but I used to go to his readings, and have followed his (very successful) career with interest.

I was recommending his poetry to the Polish-American poet John Guzlowski ("Echoes of Tattered Tongues") yesterday.  They both write with such power about their parents - and language.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Guzlowski

I just came across this small Harrison poem I had not read before:

Social Mobility

Ah, the proved advantages of scholarship!
Whereas his dad took cold tea for his snap. 
he slaves at nuances, knows at just one sip
Chateau Lafite from Chateau Neuf du Pape

Its from his "Selected Poems"- a book well worth reading.


"I hope you noticed that the sandwich fairy has visited the fridge" I reminded the Captain.   He had, and assured me that the sandwiches would be safely on board as he left for his hard day's detecting. This was Wednesday, when I did a big shop (for us and for Jacks) at a rather empty post-Xmas rush Waitrose.  And I attempted to visit Maggie in the afternoon, but found a notice on the door asking that visitors stay away as they have "a winter bug" going round, and do not want cross infections.

Thursday was a hospital day, for me.   All seems  as well as it can be, and I will be started on the new med as soon as the current one is finished.   I was given a lot of time to discuss things.  I tried not to take up too much time though. They are all so busy. 

We Waitrosed it again - as we park there - and Jacks is coming for supper on Saturday and I won't have much time to shop.

I hope to get back into my routine next week.  No meetings this week because of the assembly at Haysbridge.

Today I hope to get some of the mountain of things I have to do done. So far I have done my studying for tomorrow- a great Watchtower all about how precious the good news of the Kingdom of God is - and have made the cauliflower cheese for tomorrow - won't have much time to cook. And managed  a brisk 30 minute walk - to the river and back - chatted with the valiant Jean - and made sure the sandwich fairy has re-visited the fridge.   Oh and made the veggie soup for supper.  And already its starting to get dark.

A sunny day though, and not as cold as it should be for January.


No comments:

Post a Comment